Are you unclear about the new NM Continuing Ed requirements for your real estate license renewal? If you said yes, I’m not surprised. In every class I teach, there’s at least a handful of people that don’t understand the new education rules.
Here we go, let me see if I can help you understand!
- As of January 1st 2017, all associate brokers and qualifying brokers are required to complete 36 hours of continuing education credit within their three year licensing cycle. That includes active and inactive licensees.
- There are three required courses that every licensee must take, the annual Core Course, a four hour Core Elective course, and four hours of ethics courses.
- If you take the required Core Course every year plus a 4 hour Core Elective and four hours of Ethics Classes, that will add up to 20 hours which leaves 16 additional credit hours you’ll need to complete. Those remaining hours can be any kind of NMREC approved course – as long as you don’t take more than 10 hours of training category courses.
- If you relicense soon, like in 2017, you’ll have 24 credits to earn outside the required courses, since the annual Core Course will not have been offered to you in 2016 or 2015.
- You do not have to take any training hours if you do not want to. It is not a requirement. It’s just an option for you. Like I said before, you can only take 10.
- The annual Core Course requirement applies to anyone who did not complete the eight hour mandatory course in their current licensing cycle. The old mandatory course is no longer even offered.
- If you did take the 8 hour Mandatory course during your current licensing period, you can still take the new Core Course. You’ll receive 4 hours of credit like it was any other commission approved course.
If you would like to verify the NM Continuing ed requirements, go to section 18.104.22.168 of the rule book and read it for yourself. You can use this link to the real estate commission’s website.
Oh, and did you know, the real estate commission will be issuing license renewals online starting in November 2017? Make sure they have your correct email address!